Growing up in Arizona, having enchiladas was the norm. My mom would spend what seemed like hours in the kitchen dipping each corn tortilla into hot oil at just the right temperature to keep them soft, then rolling them with filling and top them with sauce, cheese and olives. She would also make her own hard tacos, deep frying them, burning her hands for holding the tongs too close to the oil.
The way that I started making enchiladas is much faster and way less oil. This is something you can make fairly fast even on those crazy days. Pretty much all you need to do is brown the meat, layer into the dish and heat in oven for about 30 minutes until bubbly and melted.
Our family likes to use ground turkey instead of beef but this recipe will work with any kind of meat you want. Even shredded chicken would work. When working with ground turkey, I don’t want the meat to dry out so once the meat is browned, I add some salsa in and heat until fully combined. This gives the meat a little more flavor, some spice and keeps it moist. Make sure you put some enchilada sauce at the bottom of your baking pan so the tortillas don’t stick. Then layer with tortilla, meat, black beans, corn cheese, sauce then repeat until all the filling is used. I like to top with cheese so it is easier to see when it is bubbling from being in the oven. ( The light went out in our oven so any help is nice).
Once it is melted, turn the oven to broil and it will brown the cheese on top. Giving it a nice crunchy shell top. Let it sit for a few minutes then enjoy!!
Active: 15 minutes Baking: 30 minutes Total: 45 minutes
- 1 lb of Ground Turkey
- Taco Seasoning
- Corn tortillas (about 12 small)
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 medium to large can of enchilada sauce ( I use mild green chile Las Palmas)
- 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese
- Sour Cream (optional for topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown meat in frying pan. Drain if needed. Add taco seasoning and salsa.
- Layer first in pan enchilada sauce, then tortillas, meat, black beans, corn and cheese. repeat until fillings are used.
- place in middle rack of oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly, then switch oven to broil for 5 minutes to brown the cheese topping.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes. Enjoy!